Wednesday 6 October 2010

Wired.com MSI GX660 gaming laptop review

"Gaming Notebook Nose-Dives off Ugly Tree, Hits Every Branch on Way Down.




The only explanation I can guess at for why the MSI GX660 looks the way it does is that someone made a bet with an MSI engineer, challenging him to design the most horrendously ugly computer possible.

This engineer has succeeded admirably. Not since the original Dell Inspiron XPS has a computer this fugly been unleashed upon America.

It is a throwback to an era that has never actually existed except in the minds of ’70s sci-fi enthusiasts, with harsh angles, weird textures, and a combination of automotive inspirations and goofy octagonal designs attempting to live together.

It’s like someone saw a Battlestar Galactica highlight reel and just didn’t get it. Even the Windows desktop wallpaper is hideous.

And MSI, known for its dirt-cheap yet capable machines, wants to convince you to fork over $1,750 for this monstrosity.

Pushing past the design aesthetic, here’s what MSI is giving you for your investment: a high-res, 1920 x 1080-pixel, 15.6-inch LCD; a 1.73-GHz Core i7 Q740 CPU; two 320-GB hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration; 6 GB of RAM; and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. Hey, looks pretty good.

Designed as a gaming laptop (complete with arrows on the WASD keys), the GX660 is powerful, but hardly a record-setter. Benchmarks were on target for a high-end machine, but we’ve gotten better numbers on both general apps and games out of a ThinkPad.

Props to MSI for at least putting a real battery in the system. With 1 hour, 51 minutes of battery life, the MSI is genuinely portable in ways that few gaming rigs are. Its mere 7.6-pound weight is positively gossamer for this category, too.

We also liked the MSI’s touch-sensitive control panel along the top of the base. These seem to be all the rage, but most barely work. The MSI’s icons are actually easy to comprehend, and they perform as expected.

We were less thrilled with the much-touted Dynaudio speaker setup, which puts very visible, oversized speakers on both corners of the base. They’re nothing to write home about. In fact, it would have been nice if they’d been even louder, so as to drown out the jet-engine–class fan that’s installed to cool the dang thing.

WIRED Quite affordable for a gaming notebook — it’s just too bad the performance isn’t top-notch, too. Dual USB 3.0 ports. Light and long-lived, considering the category.

TIRED So ugly you’ll keep it in a paper bag. Weak keyboard, with boneheaded numeric keypad layout." Wired.com

  
I think the review of its looks are a little harsh, maybe the picture makes it look much better than it is, and in real life it could obviously look quite tacky rather than classy. The specs are tip top though, which is always a good thing.

Comments? :) 

54 comments:

  1. Due to the display resolution, I would not recommend this for gaming. But as a desktop-like notebook, this thing is badass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great==> supportin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. idk i am a huge pc gamer and have spend way to much dough on my desktop but... gaming laptop never appealed to me and honestly dont really make sense

    i understand the people who want to game anywhere but when i game i like to put on my headphones and set up my mic and talk to my bros, something i wont be doing in a public place

    and the price for a gaming laptop is insane i could build and much rather build a desktop

    and you can always upgrade desktops unlike laptops

    idk if its your cup of tea go for it

    for me they all look like shit

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with rake, who really wants to go out and game out in public.

    i wouldn't want to be caught playing WoW at the mall

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like it, actually...I'm so fucking sick of blue LED's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hardware is obviously there, but the design is just pathetic and awkward...what a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. laptops arent meant for gaming haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be too embarrassed to bring it outside of my home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats a sexy laptop right there

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow fast looks like a devil laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff, keep it up Bro !

    ReplyDelete
  12. dunno about that orange

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of lights = awesome. Didn't you know? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  14. using a notebook for gaming is a bad idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's not THAT bad, tbh. also, gaming laptops don't exist, as HoNBlogger already stated. desktops ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! You should check out my blog about easy ways to earn money on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like It would fit in with my motley pile of computers

    ReplyDelete
  18. It doesn't look THAT bad, but ya, I'd rather build a kickass gaming rig for my house and have a cheaper laptop for portability.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never been a big fan of MSI gear....dunno why, just haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you've got some good insight in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Better go for desktops imo. Though I could imagine people preferring mobility.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great thanks, and keep up the good work.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  23. it looks good

    supporting you
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is ugly... i dont like alienwares this or thinkpads... ick id rather spend my money on a macbook then this heap of ugliness and i ahte macs... gaming desktop>gaming laptop in every catergory except portability... but rly who needs to play crysis on the go?

    ReplyDelete
  25. older msi laptops looked very neutral

    ReplyDelete
  26. I quite like the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never been a fan of the lights around a laptop, mine has them, and it makes it look a bit tackey

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe if the orange was a different colour.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I personally think it looks good, but its certainly not worth that much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks OK but i wouldn't pay that much for it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gaming on a laptop, no thanks.
    Great read though!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is one sweet peace of portable gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  34. jesus thats an expensive laptop.

    nice review though/

    ReplyDelete
  35. looks good would get a vaio though

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gaming laptops are good for people who are stuck somewhere all day, like a job that is 80% downtime and you work alone. I'm sure there are plenty of scenarios. That said, I play WoW on a $599 Best Buy special and it's worked just fine for 9 months with graphics turned way up. Not sure about newer games though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I now have to go and seek this thing out just to appreciate how ugly it is.

    Does the fact that it's ugly and therefore makes me want to get it make me a strange person?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well designed for aesthetics, though.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Am I the only one who thinks gaming laptops are a silly idea? I mean, it's great to be able to be able to lug around such a powerful machine but in terms of cost it's much more affordable to just build a gaming desktop than buy a gaming laptop. Plus, a desktop you can upgrade more easily!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I lol'd so hard at this:

    "Not since the original Dell Inspiron XPS has a computer this fugly been unleashed upon America."

    But I would rather go for power than looks.

    ReplyDelete
  41. okay I just bought this laptop from amazon for 1400 dollars and let me tell you guys what this laptop is kick ass! You guys are saying it looks ugly but thats cuz u guys havent seen it in person. Its amazing, I bought this b/c unlike most ppl that wrote in this form I work from 7am to 7pm 6 days a week, and before you even start to say iam some guy that works at a comp store I dont. I work for a sporting goods company and yea sometimes we are slow so a good portable gaming laptop like this is wonderful! Thumbs up msi. But even after work I cant go home to get on a desktop comp cuz I play on a adult baseball team. So thats another reason this laptop is good for me. As for saying the fan is on and extremly loud, that jus shows ur more of an idoit than you look. YOU CAN TURN IT ON AND OFF WHNEVER YOU WANT! So dont let that get in the way of you wanting to buy this laptop, believe me this beats most asus laptops that are this size by tenfold!! If your looking for a gaming laptop I highly suggest this one. Ps the led lights are pretty sick, not ugly its unique and believe me everyone that has seen my laptop has had no negative sayings on it cuz they like it so much some of my friends have even offered to pay me to buy mine than and there.

    ReplyDelete